The Dirty Words – Mello Roos!


What are Mello Roos? 

The Community Facilities Act (aka Mello-Roos) enacted in 1982 enabled “Community Facilities Districts” (CFDs) to be established by local government agencies, creating bonds to pay for public works and public services. These services may include streets, water, sewage and drainage, electricity, infrastructure, schools, parks and police protection to newly developing areas. The tax paid is used to make the payments of principal and interest on the bonds.

What areas have Mello Roos taxes in Ventura County?

In Oxnard, the Riverpark community (off 101 and Oxnard Blvd) as well as the Seabridge community (Victoria Ave and Wooley Rd) have mello roos taxes. Moorpark Highlands in Moorpark and the Bridges Community in Fillmore have mello roos as well.

How do I find out the amount of mello roos for a property?

The quickest and easiest way is to go online to Ventura County Assessor’s Property Characteristics and Value page and fill in the property address or APN (Assessor’s Parcel Number). Once you click submit, the APN and address should appear below. Click on the APN which will show the property identification information below. On the fourth line, click on “click to see values”. Lastly, click “view your tax bill”.

How do I know which items are the mello roos on the tax bill?

Under the special assessment section, the items labeled as CFD (Community Facilities Districts) will be the mello roos tax amount.

What else should I know about Mello Roos?

Certain mello roos have an end period and some do not. For instance, the Seabridge community in Oxnard has 2 CFD special assessments, one which expires with a maturity date and one that does not. CFD 3 is for the infrastructure improvements (waterways, etc.) and it is a bond that matures in 2035. CFD 4 is a maintenance district to pay for ongoing operational items (park/landscape maintenance, storm drain maintenance, harbor patrol, etc.) which does not expire.

*As always, Buyers are recommended to do all due diligence to their satisfaction. For legal advice, contact an attorney. For tax matters, consult a CPA. For Mello Roos information, go to your local governing authority for the most up to date information.

Chris Chin Seaside Realty   DRE 01882756